Baldwin Place, New York
13K views

I was traveling from State College, PA to New York City, at 2:40am, so I could catch an early afternoon flight to Europe. Before I say anything about the experience, let me just say that I had two bags with me, and yes, I know now that the rules say that you are only allowed one piece of luggage per customer.

That being said, the driver was absolutely unreasonable and incredibly nasty, and should be fired, because nobody should EVER treat customers the way that he did. When the bus pulled up in State College, the bus driver refused to let me on because I had too many bags. Now, the luggage compartment was half empty AFTER all the customers had put their bags in the compartment. I offered to pay extra for the bag- the driver refuses.

Then another passenger without luggage offered to take the bag as their piece of luggage- the driver still refuses and tells me I can't get on the bus, and threatens to leave without me. At this point I am extremely upset and in tears. I tell the bus driver to be reasonable, that I have a flight to Europe to catch- bus driver says "that's not my problem, and if you don't figure out what you're gonna do in five minutes, I'm leaving without you". Since I was desperate and didn't want to miss my flight, I finally just stuffed as much stuff into one of my bags that I could fit, and called my friend to come get my second bag from the sidewalk since the bus was going to leave right then and there.

Of course, when my friend came to the bus stop curb 5 minutes after the bus left, the bag was gone, along with hundreds of dollars worth of clothes. That bag contained all of the t-shirts, sweatshirts, and boxers that I owned, so thanks megabus, for making me lose half the clothes in my possession.

Now, I understand why they have to have a rule that limits one bag per customer. However, when the luggage compartment is HALF EMPTY and I am offering to pay extra for my bag, and when ANOTHER CUSTOMER WITHOUT LUGGAGE WAS OFFERING TO TAKE THE BAG AS THEIR ALLOTTED PIECE OF LUGGAGE, there is NO REASON for this to have happened.

This driver was being a *** for the sake of being a ***, and I won't rest until I find out that serious action has been taken against him.

Megabus is a terrible company, and I never plan on taking them in the future until I know that disciplinary action has been taken against this driver. Whatever happened to respect for other people?

Comments

HelpCenter_PissedConsumer

Megabus luggage policy says: “...Please be advised that passengers wishing to travel with more luggage than specified above may have items refused. No refunds will be issued in respect of travel plans canceled by the customer as a result of their excess luggage being refused.

If you wish to take an extra piece of luggage, subject to the same size and weight restrictions, you may purchase an additional travel ticket in advance of travel... “

It can be concluded that the extra luggage can be refused unless the separate ticket for the luggage was previously purchased.

THEY WON'T DO A THING ABOUT HIM. I WAS THREATENED AND TREATED THE SAME WAY. THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS IF THAT EVEN POSSIBLE.

Whining kid.The title should be changed to "I ignored the luggage rule, so I had to leave it."I'm assuming by this comment that the person playing the victim for their own entitlement that they have no sense on how business works. You know what you don't need to know how to run a business, businesses have rules for people who are clueless on how the world and business work.The luggage compartment was half empty?

How would you know that? Do you know exactly how many luggages megabus is supposed to have to be full?

And I assume you do because of that comment. Did you count them?If the driver ignored the rule for you, it could had caused some riders to be upset becauseaybe they also wanted to bring more luggage but didn't because they followed guidelines.Please grow up and take a few business and management classes so your time in the world could be less dramatic.

This is such a shame. You are right.

People hired by a company must always try their very best - to assist - they are not robots but people with common sense and ability to reason, you would hope.The driver could have called his supervisor. And he knew there was no additional stops, no custom check points, etc. and the bag could have easily been placed inside and you would have absolutely agreed to pay for this benefit. I am glad to see this story, and I feel this should reflect truly how Megabus falls very, very short on their ability to handle a situation.

Can you imagine, with the lack of compassion they have, if this was a true dire emergency, with medical supplies inside this bag? It does not matter what is the contents of your suitcase (s), these are your belongings and they had room.

This is a real shameful story. Thank you for sharing.

I know you read the luggage policy but you must understand that its in place for a reason, not to torment you but to accomadate everyone no matter if the compartment is empty or not. It is not up to you to make that decision if their is room or not.

Travel Advisory states although it is strictly against the conditions of carriage for any airline, cruise or bus company to allow someone to board knowingly the luggage does not belong to the peron boarding with it" I know people will do this all the time and no amount of waving the rule book is going to stamp it out. its Travel safety.

He did the right thing in not allowing the passenger to take your luiggage for you and he was in full policy not to accept any monetary for allowing your luggage for the sake of being fired or making money on the side as it strickly states 1 carry on and 1 luggage. Perhaps this is a perfect learning experience for you and next timeyou could use some other mode of transportation to transport yourself to an airport or have a friend drop you off.

Livonia, Michigan, United States #1271414

I bet someone really appreciated all the free clothes :D

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia #1248922

Well, this is interesting. Was just looking at how to get somewhere and will not be taking Mega Bus, 2 fares lost.

Tampa, Florida, United States #1203193

The same thing happened to at Tampa, must of megabus drivers don't know how talk with costumes.

First of all if the luggage compartment isn't full, does not necessarily mean that it won't get full later when the bus makes more intermediate stops, so the argument that it was half empty when you boarded is moot.

Second of all, other passengers aren't allowed to carry luggage that isn't theirs for security reasons. People should carry luggage that they have packed themselves.

Just read the rules next time

whah whah whah, the bus driver refused to let me bend the rules which made him automatically rude. Grow up and stop acting like a two year old.

I should not have to follow the rules I am special.

That person ASSuming that the person making comment which is truthful about them knowing the rules must also be two years old mentally. JG0278 it is not about knowing or not knowing, it is about you acting like a two year old when they refused to change the rules just for you.

to Anonymous #1008584

Megabus allows you to pay for Extra luggage, that's not bending the rules this driver was just a ***.

Bronx, New York, United States #882701

Mega bus service is not so bad but some staff are very notorious,

Service Support: To be fair, I didn't know the rules before I went, which is probably my fault and yes, I know that the luggage rack could have been full, in which case, I would have accepted full responsibility for not knowing the rules and not being able to get on the bus. But that's not the point.

The point was that it wasn't full, and the driver could have allowed the bag in the bus without any issue. State College is the last stop on the route before it gets to NYC, so it's not like other passengers were going to get on the bus later on either. There was absolutely no reason for the bus driver to make such a stink.

Also, according to the megabus website, passengers with a second bag could purchase a second ticket if they want to.

I offered to pay money for the bag. The driver still refused.

The driver was a *** for no reason. End of story.

State College, Pennsylvania, United States #582952

They stranded me along with about 20 other passengers in State College last Summer too. Most of us had luggages that were well within the limit, but the bus seemed to have been overbooked so the luggage compartment was full.

We had to pay $600 to get a taxi to JFK.

For some reason, Megabus drivers seems to either be extremely arrogant and irresponsible, or have some serious anger issues. One of them almost got into a fight with one of the passengers when I took Megabus from NYC to State College.

you knew the rules before you came what if it was all full and you could not take the bag same thing would have happen next time follow the rules and get a bigger bad

to Service Support #821133

But it wasn't full...your drivers need to be trained on your policies. Bottom line.

to Anonymous Durham, North Carolina, United States #850839

I think on their website everything is stated, the driver is not selling any ticket you have to buy online.

next time be careful, that is what happened to me too. when I was mad I said the same thing when I calm now I know Im responsible for my arrogance.

to Like MB #1448451

If you call them personally they tell you to pay an extra fee of five to ten dollars and they will accommodate you at the bus stop. Mauve there is some miss communication somewhere.

to Service Support #1007311

Doesn't the website say that if you want to bring an extra bag, then you can simply buy another available ticket at the walk-up price? (Yes, it does.) And there's no reason to bar another passenger from checking it for a new found friend.

It's not like you're crossing through a customs inspection.

Take the passenger's money or don't, but either way, this seems unreasonable and I probably won't buy the tickets I'm researching right now. Better to spend another $100 and fly, it seems.

to Service Support #1476078

I will have this problem soon, as I am travelling on a Megabus, although now very reluctantly...If the bag is a bit over limit, but within the weight constraints of less than 50 lbs, what is your policy.