205 views

I was going from Baltimore to Boston on Megabus. I purchased 5:10 - 8:20 Baltimore-NY ticket and 8:50 - 1:05 NY-Boston ticket.

I arrived on Baltimore Megabus station on time. A Megabus came at 5:10, but allowed only passengers who had 4:10 tickets, and all the passengers who had 5-10 tickets like me were bumped and left in the cold to wait for the next bus, because there were no seats for them. Apparently, the 4-10 ticketed passengers were bumped an hour before.

The 5-10 ticketed passengers were promised that the next bus would take us.

There was no severe weather that day, but I understood that disruptions do happen for various reasons, and I did not expect perfect service from a cheap bus company, so it was acceptable for me to arrive in Boston a couple of hours later.

But there was no way I would make it on time to get on 8-50 NY-Boston bus, so I called Megabus customer service (1-87*-462-****) from my cell phone and asked them to change my reservation from 8-50 to 10-50 NY-Boston trip. The person on the phone said that he was unable to help me and referred me to 908 (New Jersey) phone number, the "customer service" (was he not? His number was Megabus customer service, according to Megabus website). I called that number and spent half of an hour on hold. Nobody picked up the phone. I could not wait on hold any longer because I needed to make sure that I had NY-Boston reservation before I left Baltimore.

I hung up and called Megabus (1-877) number again. The customer service representative suggested me to call the same 908 number again. After I told him that they just put people on hold for hours and my issue was urgent, he said that they have extremely high call volume and suggested me to write them an email, believe it or not!

After a few minutes of hearing that he was sorry and there was nothing he could do, I asked him if I could buy and extra reservation for 10-50 NY-Boston bus, he said "yes". He sold me another reservation, and he did not need to refer me to 908 phone number for that! So I was forced to buy another ticket, despite the fact that all that happened after I was bumped by them.

The Baltimore - NY bus finally came at 6-30, and all 5-10 passengers got on it. The passengers who were actually supposed to get on that bus were bumped, there were no seats for them. I rode to NY on it, where I transferred to 10-50 NY-Boston bus, which was almost empty. Why I was forced to buy an extra ticket to get on it - blows up my mind.

This is the way Megabus treats their customers, shame on them!

Product or Service Mentioned: Megabus Bus Service.

Location: Westminster, Maryland

Comments

I can sympathize with Vladimir_m from his post above. My family and I traveled to NY on 12/18 and had tickets to return on 12/20, but a major snowstorm hit that day and Megabus canceled all service.

We understood that but when I called to just have the tickets for the 20th rolled over to the 21st, I was told they couldn't do that and was instructed to buy 5 more NEW tickets and they would refund me the money from the canceled reservation. That was in December 2009. Today is May 7th 2010 and I am STILL trying to get my refund from 12/20. Just like Vladimir, I had no luck with the 877 number (unless I wanted to make a purchase).

I experienced hold times of nearly 2 hours on one occasion, 47 minutes another time and about 1 hour 15 minutes yet a third time when I called the 908 "customer service" number. I tried one more time today and still couldn't get anyone to answer after about 24 minutes. Never got through. And the people at the 877 number were unsympathetic and borderline rude when I explained that I could never get through on the 908 number.

The rep I spoke to today actually said "Yeah, that's too bad. Sometimes they get really busy." Then he said "What's your problem anyway? You can go online and fill out a form." which just seemed very rude to me. I told him I had been trying to get my refund since December and he told me I shouldn't have waited so long!!

Besides, I tried the online form and got nowhere with that one either. I finally filed a complaint with the BBB and hope that it produces a refund.

The way Megabus does business is just unacceptable. I would warn others to use another bus company.

This issue has been resolved. Pissedconsumer.com, please delete my complaint.

Megabus Reviews